Delegate to another DNS server

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Apr 3 23:03:31 UTC 2000

In article <38e91275.0 at news.spiderlink.net>,
Iguana <iguana at spiderlink.net> wrote:
>I am running bind 4.x.  My DNS in ARIN is authoritative for my assigned

You're an ISP and you're still running BIND 4.x?  Shame on you!

>blocks.  I have a customer that I have assigned a class C and they want to
>setup his own DNS server including reverse lookups.  I do not want to
>submitt to ARIN a swip assigment because this is a temporary setup.  How can
>I tell my DNS how to send reverse lookup requests to his DNS server.

In fact, ARIN won't accept a nameserver delegation for a class C that's
inside your block, so you don't have to concern yourself with that.

If you've been delegated an entire /16 block, you just do an ordinary DNS
delegation.  For instance, if ARIN assigned you 172.18.0.0/16, and you
wanted to delegate reverse DNS for 172.18.10.0/24 to your customer, you
would put:

10 IN NS ...

in your 18.172.in-addr.arpa zone.

If ARIN assigned you a block smaller than /16 then you can't do this,
because they implement this by delegating each /24 block to you, and you
can't redelegate at the same level.  The solution to this is to configure
your nameservers as secondary servers to the customer's server.  The ARIN
registration will direct clients to your servers, which will have gotten
the data from the customer's server.  If the customer includes his own
servers in the NS records, these will be cached by other servers and will
be used as well.

If you upgrade to BIND 8.2 you can configure your server as a forwarding
server for the reverse domain:

zone "10.18.172.in-addr.arpa" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { 172.18.10.1; 172.18.10.2; };
};

With this technique, your server will basically be a pass-through to the
customer's server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com