authoritive??!??

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Apr 4 14:54:48 UTC 2000

In article <8cc3c1$m6v$1 at bugstomper.ihug.com.au>,
Brad <bradk at aulink.net> wrote:
>I have a small problem....I am getting feedback from a site that is saying
>my nameserver is not authoritive for the domain.....here is the first few
>lines minus the timout figures....
>
>aulink.net.             IN      SOA     name.aulink.net. admin.aulink.net.
>aulink.net.             IN      NS      name.aulink.net.
>                                        A       203.42.220.209
>
> Can anyone help me out? Should the bit after the SOA be changed to just
>aulink.net instead of name.aulink.net (the nameservers hostname)
> I did have it that way actually but still got reports that it was wrong,
>although it has only been from this one site...
> any help much appreciated

The name you put after SOA is pretty much ignored, and has no effect on
whether the server considers itself authoritative.  A server makes itself
non-aurhoritative if it detects syntax errors in the file.  When you load
the zone, syntax error messages will be reported to the log file, and
they'll tell you the precise line that the problem is on.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com