Secondary DNS Server (Slave)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 4 22:47:22 UTC 2000

First of all, upgrade to BIND 8.

Second, yes, you are correct, you need a "slave" (current terminology) or
"secondary" (old, BIND 4 terminology) definition for each zone. There are
various ways to automate this. I have a script which runs on each of our
intranet DNS servers, checks all delegations throughout our internal namespace
every night and adds/deletes slave definitions as necessary. It would not be
feasible for an Internet-connected nameserver to search through the entire
namespace looking for new delegations, of course, but perhaps you could
periodically scan the logs and perform a similar delegation-check for all zones
for which the machine recently received a NOTIFY.

Lastly, upgrade to BIND 8.

- Kevin