Everything resolved to a single IP address

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Apr 5 18:11:30 UTC 2000

In article <38EB252C.D925DD20 at intnet.mu>, John  <costume at intnet.mu> wrote:
>If our company's link to the internet is down I would like all my users
>to go to a particular web page (which would explain about the outage)
>whenever someone tries to surf.
>Is it possible to configure BIND so that requests for all names are
>resolved to a single IP address?

Make your server a master server for the root domain, and in the root.db
file put:

* IN A <web server address>

I don't know any way to make this take effect automatically only when the
Internet link is down.  What I believe you'll have to do is manually
reconfigure your nameserver when that happens, and then put it back to
normal (with a root hints file instead of a master zone file) when the link
comes back.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com