DNS Management

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Apr 6 15:23:17 UTC 2000

In article <38EBDA7D.588395CF at mediaone.net>,
Keith Donaldson  <domfam at mediaone.net> wrote:
>I'm curious to know what folks are using to manage DNS.  I'm
>particularly interested in sites that manage a large number of domains
>and are constantly make modifications to zone files and such.  Are you
>using an open source solution that is working well for you?

We're using tools we developed in-house to manage our servers that provide
primary and secondary DNS for 36,000 zones.  It's based on Informix
database to contain the data, Perl scripts to create named.conf and zone
files from it, and rsync to distribute the files to our servers.  We think
it gives us a competitive advantage, and hence is proprietary.  It's also
not really designed to be portable to other environments -- it ties in with
the databases we use to manage our customers, routers, etc.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
Genuity, Burlington, MA