how is a named resolved?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 6 17:27:38 UTC 2000

BIND provides recursive *service* by default, i.e. accepts recursive queries and
will do the work necessary to resolve the name and give the answer back to the
client. But the queries it generates to resolve those names are, in a default
configuration, exclusively *iterative*. Is that distinction clear enough? Just
because you *accept* recursive queries doesn't mean you *generate* them.

The root servers do not provide recursive service. One way to tell this is by the
fact that the RA (Recursion Available) bit is not set in their responses. Also, if
you query a root server for something it doesn't explicitly know about, such as
www.daimlerchrysler.com, then you'll get back a referral to daimlerchrysler.com.
The root server has declined to perform the extra work necessary to fully resolve
the name. You have to iterate to the daimlerchrysler.com servers to get the answer
you want.

- Kevin