Bind 8 slave Bind 4 master

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 7 17:10:14 UTC 2000

In article <200004071613.LAA17905 at smtpmail1.fritolay.com>,
 <Bill.Stephens at fritolay.com> wrote:
>I've been going through the archives, and it appears that you can have a bind 8
>slave (secondary) to a bind 4 primary (master).  Is it possible to dynamically
>update the bind 8 slave?  I'm trying to use bind 8.2.2 on RedHat to provide
>dynamic DNS support for a bind 4 domain, which I have no control over.  Any
>suggestions would be appreciated.

Even if you can, this sounds like a horrible idea.  If you only update the
slave, it will get out of sync with the master.  And when it does another
zone transfer, it will lose all the dynamic updates that it made.

You should probably put the names of the dynamic hosts into a subdomain
that the BIND 8 server is master for, and leave the parent domain alone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA