glue records

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 7 17:08:05 UTC 2000

In article <8ckt82$9du$1 at supernews.com>, Andy Francis <andy at red.net> wrote:
>Excuse my ignorance.

Why?  The answer to your question is on p.211 of the DNS&BIND book, and you
could have found it by looking up "glue records" in the index.

If you're operating a name server and don't have the DNS&BIND book, there's
no excuse for that, either.

>Anyone be bothered to tell me what a glue record is?

If a nameserver for a delegated subdomain has a name that's in the
subdomain, the zone file for the parent domain needs to have an A record
for the name (otherwise there would be an infinte regress problem: to query
the nameserver you have to translate the name to an address, which would
require querying the nameserver).  This is called a glue record.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA