BIND enhancements for true auto-configuring *slave server*

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 7 20:18:03 UTC 2000

Tom Robinson wrote:

> How can BIND be configured so that a server can be configured automatically
> as a slave for all zones for which another particular server is master?
> BIND allows a server to be a slave for *individual zones*, whereby changes
> in an existing zone propagate efficiently from the master to the slaves.
> This was designed for large companies who have one domain such as HP.COM and
> can work with a small number of large zones.
> The world has changed since then.
> It doesn't work for ISP's that host 1000's of domains and 1000's of tiny
> zones. In this case, new zones are created all the time.
> Doing it by the book, the slave servers must have new slave zone records
> added manually.
> For ISP use, a good slave server should be completely automatic once it is
> set up.
> When it receives a DNS NOTIFY from a designated master server, it should
> automatically become a slave for that zone.
> Does anyone have a non-proprietary solution for this problem?

Since this is not a feature of BIND, I guess under a strict definition of
"non-proprietary", no solution is possible.

My best thought would be to have something watching the logs for NOTIFY's and
then auto-configuring the named.conf based on that trigger. Yes, it's
"proprietary", but I think it would work quite well.