BIND enhancements for true auto-configuring *slave server*

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 7 20:24:54 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <38EE3D0D.BD4CA917 at daimlerchrysler.com>,
> Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> >So, Dan, if I have a BIND master and BIND slaves, how am I going to get
> >"Immediate replication" or "Add zones automatically" by using rsync, which
>
> When rsync copies over the named.conf file, the new zones are added.

> >as far as I can tell is just a file transfer utility? Or are you giving
> >non-BIND answers to BIND questions again?
>
> He's suggesting using rsync to duplicate the entire BIND configuration.  So
> both machines would be master servers running BIND.

That makes a big hairy assumption that the "multiple masters" can be configured
*identically*, doesn't it? Or does rsync have the ability to replicate a file
partially, perhaps just the zone definitions?

Also, how is Dynamic Update supposed to work in this scenario, where all of the
authoritative servers consider themselves master for the zone?

In any case, the original poster was looking for a non-proprietary solution. While
"rsync" may be open source, all of the scripting and whatnot to make it all work
would be proprietary, and thus I don't think the rsync approach really fits the
requirement.