GraniteCanyon 'round robin' DNS adding (multiple www sites error)

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Apr 10 08:12:54 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "anthony" <apryan at erols.com>

>     I have a domain hosted off GraniteCanyon's nameservers and
>     have discovered a problem or error on my end.

>     Basically I'm trying to add in a DNS for www.myhost.com to
>     point to several machines at the same time in case one of them
>     is down or temporarly unavailable. I have something like the
>     following setup (replacing myhost.com for my real domain name):
> myserver.com.            IN  A              my.ip.here
> www2.myserver.com  IN  A              my.2nd.ip.here
> www3.myserver.com. IN  A              my.3rd.ip.here
> www.myserver.com.   IN  CNAME  myserver.com.
>                                   IN  CNAME  www2.myserver.com.
>                                   IN  CNAME  www3.myserver.com.
>     I am farmiliar with Unix DNSing and would use a IN A ip instead
>     of a CNAME name, but it seems that Granite Canyon won't allow
>     that type of aliasing. Since the above doesn't work, I'm guessing
>     they don't support the 'round robin' type feature as well?

Generally speaking, multiple CNAME records are a bad idea, and I wouldn't
be surprised if granitecanyon.com wouldn't allow them. Unfortunately this
is all the advice I'm able to provide when you don't tell us the real
domain, don't show us your real RRs, and don't tell us in what way your
setup doesn't "work".

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.