Logging with HUP not working?

John Horne J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Apr 10 15:04:27 UTC 2000

Hello,

We are running BIND version 8.2.2-P3 and have configured named to log to
different log files according to the type of message. We have also specified
the number of versions of each log file (generally 5). However, using 'ndc
reload', 'ndc restart', 'kill -HUP' and just stopping and starting named
doesn't seem to cause it rotate the log files. It just continues to use the
same ones - needless to say these are starting to get larger as time goes on
:-)

The top of the logging part of our config file is:

logging {
        channel our_default {
                file "logs/misc"
                        versions 5;
                severity notice;
                print-category yes;
                print-time yes;
                };

        channel panic {
                file "logs/panic"
                        versions 5;
                severity debug;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time yes;
                };
        category panic { panic; };
        category default { our_default; };

No errors are shown in the log files (particularly misc) regarding the
syntax, and nothing in /var/adm or /var/log - we are using a Sun Solaris 7
system.

Messages are being logged okay, its just the log rotation that doesn't seem
to be happening.

Any ideas? Thanks.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk
Finger for PGP key: john at jhorne.csd.plymouth.ac.uk