machine with 10 hour ttl hasn't changed in internet cache in two weeks!!! please help

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 10 15:44:13 UTC 2000

In article <m3hfdbdjxh.fsf at blip.speeder.com>,
Roman Milner  <roman at speeder.com> wrote:
>So, it seems like two weeks later looking up pbob.speeder.com should
>give the new address.  I've queried as many name servers as I can
>think of and they all give the old address.

I just asked my name server and it gave the new address.

>Is there a way I can find out from whence the cached name comes?

They probably still have the old NS records in their caches.  Did you tell
the old DNS provider to delete the zone from their servers?  If they still
have the zones, then every time someone queries their servers, they'll send
a new set of NS records with updated TTLs.  As long as a server queries
their server again before those TTLs run out, they'll keep getting renewed.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA