Help in delegating zones.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 10 21:31:23 UTC 2000

In article <38F20CAE.8B21FC79 at syd-co.au.dhl.com>,
Aboo VADAKKUMURI VALAPPIL <aboo at syd-co.au.dhl.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Can anybody help me in creating a sub domain and delegating it from the
>parent domain.
>
>I created a NS record in the parent domain for the subdomain with the
>correct name server.
>
>I created the subdomain on a different server. If I query anything on
>the sub domain name server, everything works. But If I query any records
>on subdomain from the parent name server, it says the domain is unknown.

That's all you should need to do.

Is the name of the subdomain server in the subdomain that it serves,
i.e. is it something like:

subdom.parent.  NS  ns.subdom.parent.

In that case, you also need a "glue record", i.e. an A record in the parent
domain:

ns.subdom.parent.  A  1.2.3.4

Otherwise, you have an infinite regress problem: in order to look something
up in the subdomain you have to query the subdomain server, but to get its
address you would have to query it.

This is all explained in the DNS & BIND book, in the section on Parenting.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA