Name Resolving Question.

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Mon Apr 10 22:03:31 UTC 2000

% > % > I will get the list of root-servers for the .com tld.
% > %
% > % It just so happens that the root servers are also the "com" servers.
% >
% >         That was true at one time. It is increasingly -NOT- true.
%
% Indeed. I guess I just haven't noticed the gradual migration over the years.
% But there is still a high degree of overlap between the 2 server sets...
%
% - Kevin

To clarify, there were nine servers that housed both the root and com/net/org.
In 1996/7, two servers dedicated to com/net/org were added as the first
step in segregating the zones. Politics ensued. In the last month, two
of the traditional roots have shed the com/net/org zones and there is
a plan in place to shed a couple every few weeks until there is sufficent
seperation in place.

--bill