DDNS and A records not being scavenged

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 11 00:50:17 UTC 2000

This is not a standard feature of BIND. You could, I suppose, have something
watch the BIND-generated logs and keep some external database that tracks when
particular records are added. Then a job using that database could use Dynamic
Update to scavenge the stale records.

IMO, the "scavenging" feature would be a lot more useful if the Dynamic Update
client were to have the ability to specify a) whether the record is
scavengeable at all, and b) if so, when it should be scavenged, at the time it
adds the record. Similar to the "lease" concept of DHCP to which, of course,
such updates are linked in most cases. But, of course, changing Dynamic Update
this much would actually require Microsoft to participate substantively in an
*open* standards process, and apparently that concept goes against their
corporate culture...

- Kevin