masters for secondary zone unreachable? For ALL zones?

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Tue Apr 11 16:00:47 UTC 2000

I'm a little puzzled. I keep getting:

Apr 11 17:48:46 stahlw06 named[21512]: zoneref: Masters for secondary zone "rz.tu-bs.de" unreachable
Apr 11 17:48:51 stahlw06 named[21512]: zoneref: Masters for secondary zone "dul.maps.vix.com" unreachable

errors for ALL (!) slave zones my box is trying to load.

Facts:
* BIND-8.2.2p5 on HP-UX 10.20
* excerpt from my named.conf regarding both zones in question

acl "trusted" {
   134.169.0.0/16;
};

acl tu-bs_primaries {
        134.169.9.40;
        134.169.9.107;
        134.169.10.20;
        134.169.32.1;
        134.95.100.209;
        192.76.176.9;
};

zone "rz.tu-bs.de" {
        type slave;
        file "slave/rz.tu-bs.de";
        masters {
           134.169.9.107;
           134.169.9.40;
           134.169.10.20;
           134.169.32.1;
           134.95.100.209;
           192.76.176.9;
        };
        allow-transfer {
           tu-bs_primaries;
        };
};

zone "dul.maps.vix.com" {
        type slave;
        file "slave/dul.maps.vix.com";
        masters {
           193.162.159.97;
           158.38.0.181;
           192.16.202.11;
           204.152.184.74;
           206.14.228.7;
           207.126.97.7;
        };
        allow-query {
           trusted;
        };
};

* named is started chrooted as user named, group named:
  exec ndc -c /var/spool/named/var/run/ndc ${1+"$@"} -t /var/spool/named/ -u named -g named

* even when starting as user root (I omit "-u named -g named") it cannot
  load the zones

* It can load the zones it's master for and does notify it's slaves

* /zones/slave/* in the chroot-jail have been deleted, so a zone transfer must be performed

* /zones/slave is writable for user named

* I tried re-ordering the masters in the masters{}; statement -- to no avail.