masters for secondary zone unreachable? For ALL zones?

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Tue Apr 11 17:53:19 UTC 2000

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 06:47:14PM +0100, Jim Reid wrote:

>     Ralf>  /usr/sbin/named-xfer is called and exits with status 2 Argh.
>
> Make sure the version of named-xfer is the one for the version of
> named that you're running. I've had problems like this in the past:
> like forgetting to install an 8.1.2 named-xfer when upgrading from
> BIND 8.1.1. BTW, an exit status of 2 is XFER_TIMEOUT for named-xfer.

They're the correct version. I check with "what".

what ./named:
named 8.2.2-P5 Thu Feb 24 18:34:16 MET 2000
root at stahlw06:/users2/gnu/bind-8.2.2/src/bin/named

what ./named-xfer:
named 8.2.2-P5 Thu Feb 24 18:34:16 MET 2000
root at stahlw06:/users2/gnu/bind-8.2.2/src/bin/named

> The arguments to named-xfer that you quoted in a previous posting are
> unusual.

I agree!

> Why are you asking named-xfer to do all the zone transfers
> (and mixing ixfr and axfr) in one shot?

Damned if I know:
I copied this incantation from named.run, the debugging log!

> I think you should only give
> named-xfer arguments for one zone (=> and one zone file and one name
> server to try) at a time. Perhaps your manual attempts are failing
> because named-xfer can't make sense of its argument list? Also,
> BIND8's ixfr is buggy, if not broken. Still. Sigh. Use axfr. IIUC
> 8.2.3 will have yet another complete rewrite of the ixfr code.

BTW - I noticed that IXFR is broken - named crashed on me :(

> And be aware that for some unknown reason, named-xfer exits with a
> non-zero status (4) to indicate success!

AAAAAAAAArgh!

> I'd first try a named-xfer by hand from outside the jail. [And use the
> HP-UX equivalent of truss or ktrace to find out what files it opens.]
> If that works, then repeat it inside the chroot jail. If it doesn't
> the debugging output from named-xfer (try -d 99) should indicate
> what's going wrong.

manually outside the jail works.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb
The trouble with being punctual is that people think you have nothing