no default TTL error

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 11 18:51:33 UTC 2000

In article <8cvp4q$b6k$1 at pr1.plk.af.mil>,
Randy Rokosz <Randy.Rokosz at plk.af.mil> wrote:
>The following question in the FAQ referred to a problem I was having:
>------
>I'm getting an error: No default TTL set using SOA minimum instead.
>Since BIND 8.2, you need a $TTL directive to set the default TTL for the
>zone.
>Add a '$TTL XXXXXX' directive prior to the SOA record for the zone. (XXXXXX
>denotes the default TTL in seconds.)
>-------
>
>I added the string '$TTL 38400' before the SOA record and it
>didn't work... can someone provide a sample syntax/file for this?

That's all you should need to do.  Did you do this in *all* the zone files?

Are you getting this error on a slave server?  If the zone files were
written by an older version of named-xfer, they won't have the $TTL
directive in them.  You'll need to delete the files and reload named, to
force it to transfer the files again.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA