configuration not loading...won't respond to local queries

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Apr 12 01:39:26 UTC 2000

> Thanks, I've included the results below:
> At 10:38 AM +1000 4/12/00, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
> >	Firstly the SOA RNAME (contact) field should be "root.roundtuit.com."
> >	also the NS records between the parent and child zones need
> >	to agree.
>
> Corrected.

	Good try but no cigar;-)

	roundtuit.com. SOA master.roundtuit.com. root.roundtuit.com. ( ... )

	Add an A record for galifrey.roundtuit.com and turn galifrey on.
	Add an A record for master.roundtuit.com and remove the CNAME
	record.

	Also update the serial number to get the zone to propogate.

	If you want 38.157.149.2 to be known as roundtuit.com rather than
	master.roundtuit.com submit a host change to Network Solutions,
	once this is processed could can make master.roundtuit.com a
	CNAME again.

> >	You have told Network Solutions that the servers are:
> >	MASTER.ROUNDTUIT.COM         38.157.149.2
> >	GALIFREY.ROUNDTUIT.COM       38.157.149.10
> >	then you advertise in the zone that the server is
> >	ROUNDTUIT.COM		     38.157.149.2
> >
> >	However neither of these should cause local lookups to fail, the
> >	miss matching NS RRset will cause your clients problems however.
> >
> >	What does "dig roundtuit.com soa +norec @38.157.149.2" return?
> [root at master named]# dig roundtuit.com soa +norec @38.157.149.2
>
> ; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> roundtuit.com soa +norec @38.157.149.2
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
> ;; got answer:
> ;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
> ;; QUERY SECTION:
> ;;      roundtuit.com, type = SOA, class = IN
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> roundtuit.com.          23h30m IN SOA   root.roundtuit.com.
> root\@roundtuit.com.
>   (
>                                          32701           ; serial
>                                          3H              ; refresh
>                                          30M             ; retry
>                                          5w6d16h         ; expiry
>                                          3D )            ; minimum
>

> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> roundtuit.com.          23h30m IN NS    master.roundtuit.com.
> roundtuit.com.          23h30m IN NS    galifrey.roundtuit.com.

	There should be additional records here once the A's are added.

> ;; Total query time: 53 msec
> ;; FROM: master.roundtuit.com to SERVER: 38.157.149.2
> ;; WHEN: Tue Apr 11 19:05:43 2000
> ;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 134
>

> >	What does "dig roundtuit.com soa +norec @127.0.0.1" return?
>
> [root at master named]# dig roundtuit.com soa +norec @127.0.0.1
>
> ; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> roundtuit.com soa +norec @127.0.0.1
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
> ;; got answer:
> ;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
> ;; QUERY SECTION:
> ;;      roundtuit.com, type = SOA, class = IN
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> roundtuit.com.          23h30m IN SOA   root.roundtuit.com.
> root\@roundtuit.com.
>   (
>                                          32701           ; serial
>                                          3H              ; refresh
>                                          30M             ; retry
>                                          5w6d16h         ; expiry
>                                          3D )            ; minimum
>

> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> roundtuit.com.          23h30m IN NS    master.roundtuit.com.
> roundtuit.com.          23h30m IN NS    galifrey.roundtuit.com.
>
> ;; Total query time: 13 msec
> ;; FROM: master.roundtuit.com to SERVER: 127.0.0.1
> ;; WHEN: Tue Apr 11 19:07:06 2000
> ;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 134
>

> >	What is the contents of resolv.conf?
>
> [root at master named]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search roundtuit.com
> ;nameserver 38.157.149.2
> nameserver 38.8.82.2
> nameserver 38.8.83.2
> nameserver 38.157.149.2

	Well you just performed local lookups and they work fine.

	Your server (38.157.149.2) seems to configured so that
	it can resolve queries for non-local names.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com