got two questions on DNS

Bovine Unit #243 bov243 at pasture.net
Wed Apr 12 02:42:14 UTC 2000

I got DNS (1 primary, 1 secondary) server (FreeBSD 3.4) running for my
little home network (overkill, but kinda fun). Anyway, I got two
nagging problems:

1. I connect to my ISP via dial-up PPP modem (56K kind). Everytime
after successful connection, my DNS server seems to have a lag time of
1 to 2 minutes before it forwards DNS query to my ISP's DNS server. Of
course, after the initial lag, everything would be working as normal.
Is there any way to speed-up whatever's going on?

2. It looks like my DNS is trying to broadcast its presence to the
outside -- which is a no-no since this is 192.168.x.x, I believe. At
least my ISP is doing it correctly by denying the request. But it sure
bugs the heck out of me when the error gets logged. Anyway to turn
this mechanism off?