CNAME and MX

Rodrick Su rsu at tigana.com
Wed Apr 12 04:42:14 UTC 2000

In article <20000412135648.A21877 at dark.net>, Jeremy Lunn <jeremyl at vicnet.net.au> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am fairly new to DNS.  I know the basics, but there are a few things I
>am not sure about.
>
>First of all, why are you supposed to have only one A record for each IP
>address?  Is that actually stated by the RFC?

No, but it does make it easier to do a PTR record.  There can only be 1 PTR
record per IP address.  Having a 1 to 1 mapping does simplified tracking a
bit.

>And say I make a CNAME mail.mydomain pointing to serv100.mydomain can I
>use mail.mydomain as the MX or do I have to use the A record
>serv100.mydomain?

As a rule of thumb, always use the original record for pointing MX to.  Once
again, this is just to make your life easier.

[ Rodrick Su       [                                                  ]
[ rsu at tigana.com   [       I might be crazier than you think.         ]