auth vs caching setup

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Apr 12 21:43:26 UTC 2000

In article <PQ5J4.43790$E85.817669 at news1.rdc1.md.home.com>,
Chris Cell <ccell at home.com> wrote:
>This may be a rather green question, but what exactly would this do for you?
>Is it so the primary server only is responsible for zone transfers, and not
>answering to the outside world?

It will answer to the outside world, but only for the zones that it's
authoritative for; if someone queries it for names in some other domain, it
will return a referral up to the root servers.  This reduces cache
corruption (you can reduce it even further by using "fetch-glue no" as
well).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA