Making a DNS for just 1 IP

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Apr 13 14:48:59 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.10004130923250.9862-100000 at phosobus>,
 <mmarc at etu.info.unicaen.fr> wrote:

>Sorry, I don't explain why I want to make a sub-domain.
>
>I'm an administrator in a University in France, and I'm working on the
>network for the studient.
>
>We are wanting to make an association for the old studient. (and me...
>:-) ).
>So we install a linux box for the association, but there is one thing we
>don't want : we don't want to depend to the administrator team, and we
>need to maintain a DNS for the virtual host of apache.
>So we have an IP assigned for the box, and wanted to make a sub-domain of
>the studient domain for this IP.
>
>(sorry for my english which is not very good, but I hope I'm understand).

So you're going to have hosts like host1.foo.bar.com, host2.foo.bar.com,
etc.?  In that case, just put a normal delegation in the bar.com domain:

foo IN NS ns.foo.bar.com.

ns.foo IN A A.B.C.D

In the named.conf file of your box you put:

zone "foo.bar.com" {
  type master;
  file "db.foo";
};

and fill in the db.foo file with all the data for your subdomain.

Isn't this explained well in the "Parenting" chapter of the DNS & BIND
book?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA