CName Terminology Question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Apr 13 14:53:55 UTC 2000

In article <MCEIJNLGLPGHIKFLOHOFOEJHCDAA.walt at web-3.com>,
Walt Brannon <walt at web-3.com> wrote:
>foo.bar.com.   	IN CName   bar.com
>
>These will all work, but is the "Cname" the part on the left or the part on
>the right in the line above?
>
>Which is correct?

The entire record is called a CNAME record.  The part on the left is the
owner name, the part on the right is the canonical name.  Often, owner
names are referred to as the type of record they own.  In context, it's
rarely ambiguous; if I say "foo.bar.com is a CNAME pointing to bar.com",
it's obvious that foo.bar.com is the owner and bar.com is the canonical
name.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA