converting 4.9.4-P1 to 8.2.2-P5

David Stern dstern at tsi-telsys.com
Thu Apr 13 17:31:18 UTC 2000

We have a perfectly good BIND 4.9.4-P1 running on a solaris machine.
But to keep up with the times, I built and installed BIND 8.2.2-P5
on a newer Solaris box. I then ran the conversion utility and everything
seems to work for the most part altho it complains about things that
the 4.9 version is quite happy with

eg a cname followed by the same
cname pointing to a RR seems to get it rather pissed off.

Also, running in debug I get things like
Zone "acme.com" (file named.acme): No default TTL set, using SOA
minimum instead

The FAQ says something about putting a directive   $TTL 1234567
Where specifically does that do (named.conf, named.acme?)

Also,   named.acme: WARNING SOA expire value is less than 7 days
(432000)

I realize these are just warnings but I'd like to clean as much up as I
can. Are there other gotchas in the conversion? We're primary for
several other zones.

Thanks

 David Stern                                    TSI TelSys
 Manager, Information Systems                   410-872-3906