forwarding queries

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 13 19:59:21 UTC 2000

hikmat at my-deja.com wrote:

> hello,
> i recently updated may named system (to redhat
> 6.0)  so the
> configuration now uses
> named.conf instead of named.boot , with a
> different syntax of course.
> the problem is
> this
> my named is responsible for a subdomain and uses
> another dns server for
> queries outside that domain
> in the old bind the configuration was
>
> directory  /var/named
> primary         mydomain     mydomainfile
> primary        mysubnet      myrevdomainfile
> forwarders   the ip address of the other dns
> server
> slave
>
> it worked just fine.
> with the new config i used the script that comes
> with bind
> "named-bootconf.pl"
> now any queries outside my domain are not
> forwarded to the other server
> they just fail
> any hints

1. Double-check that named-bootconf.pl generated "forwarders" and
"forward only" statements in your "options" clause, and that the
forwarders specified are correct.2. BIND 8's named uses different source
ports for its forwarded queries than BIND 4's did. Could it be that a
firewall or router is blocking the packets? You may be able to get
around this by forcing named to always use port 53 as its source port
(see "query-source"), thus making it behave more like BIND 4. There
should actually be a comment in the named.conf file to this effect.