Creative DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 14 21:00:21 UTC 2000

In article <38F714C3.3984168 at Amoire.com>,
Joe Schiavone  <Joe at Amoire.com> wrote:

>I am gettin creative, and want to expand my server to host
>multiple domains.  I wanna be able to have the same IP number
>respond for multiple domains that include .com's and .org's.
>Can anyone walk me through this or refer me to some good examples?
>I think this is refered to has virtual domains?
>I would prefer not to use CNAME record to accomplish this.
>I want one named.conf with the various domains as Zone files.

Just create multiple zones in the named.conf file, and in each zone file
you put:

www  IN A  1.2.3.4

where 1.2.3.4 is the address of your server.

If you want these to show up as different pages on the web, look for
something like "virtual host" in your web server documentation.  If you
need further assistance with that part of it, you should use the
comp.infosystems.www.servers.<your OS> newsgroup.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA