Master and Slave on one server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 14 21:14:04 UTC 2000

In article <38F7865B.946AC84A at daimlerchrysler.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>What possible benefit do you hope to derive by having the same zone defined as
>master and slave on the same server? Do you expect the nameserver to perform
>zone transfers from itself to itself? To what end?

I think I can guess: InterNIC requires two servers in a registration, but
he only has one machine.  He's using virtual addressing to pretend to be
two machines to satisfy InterNIC.

But if this is his only goal, he doesn't need to be master and slave.  Just
configure two IP addresses on the server, and run a single named process
configured as a master.  It will respond to queries on both addresses.

>Tim Woodmen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to run bind 8: master and slave zone files on one Linux server
>> with two IP's. The syslog reports:

If you really want to do this, you need to run two instances of named, each
with their own named.conf file.  They should have different "listen-on"
options and different socket pathnames in the "controls" section.  One
named process can't be both master and slave for the same zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA