winnt port event log messages

mycos at my-deja.com mycos at my-deja.com
Mon Apr 17 00:25:12 UTC 2000

I've been using a commercial port of BIND 8 for NT for a while now,
primarily because I didn't realize that the standard BIND distribution
included a port for winnt. Anyway $VENDOR apparently decided that the
patch for the latest vulnerabilities was a good chance to force anyone
not using their new licensing system to buy-in again.

So I'm thrilled to find the port and have taken my first foray into
Visual C++. Compiling the release version wasn't difficult, and it
seems to be running well. But there are several event log messages that
I'd like to quell fears about before putting it into production:

1) ctl_server: socket: Unknown error
2) unix control "%DESTRUN%/ndc" socket failed: Unknown error
3) directory C:/winnt/system32/dns/etc is world-writable

#1 and #2 appear related, and my guess is that since NT's got
BINDCtrl.exe instead of ndc, I can ignore the messages.

#3 is a bit odd because the perms are Full Access for Administrators
and System accounts. No other ACLS are set. (so it's definitely not
_world_ writeable.) Any recommendations on the most restrictive set of
permissions I should be setting for this (and the bin) directory?

Also, is there any way to install the standard documentation? Any clues
as to how I would go about doing that?

TIA,

mYcos

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/