Ignoring Expires

Ian Carr-de Avelon avelon at emit.pl
Mon Apr 17 08:29:47 UTC 2000

Can I (easily) get bind to ignore short expiry times? I am seeing
progressively more zones moving to headers like:
>                                        30M             ; refresh
>                                        30M             ; retry
>                                        30M             ; expiry
>                                        10M )           ; minimum
Including zones which don't changes through months.
During periods of congestion this causes unnecessary degradation of service
to our end users.
Browsers waste time while bind performs a lookup, and if that fails are
in some cases unwilling to pass the request to a proxy server, which may
well have the page available. Email clients are kept waiting while
the domain is verified and then often time out. Our only other option
is to accept all mail, with the result that any typing mistake in the
address is only caught when the email is returned.
Can I set an option to make all expires a minimum of a couple of days?
If not, can someone please put that on a wish list? It would also be
nice if failed retries could be rerun via a cron job outside peak
periods to keep things connected.
Yours
Ian