help with granitecanyon.com

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 18 17:48:20 UTC 2000

In article <8di4o4$kjs$1 at nova.thezone.net>,
Jason Whelan <{spam}jwhelan at aspweekly.com> wrote:
>i am using the public dns granitecanyon.com
>I have pasted the record below.
>When i do a dig with sam spade i get this:
>Dig asptomorrow.com at NS1.GRANITECANYON.COM (205.166.226.38) ...
>Non-authoritative answer
> Query for asptomorrow.com type=255 class=1
>Malformed name in RR
>What does "Malformed name in RR" mean?

The asptomorrow.com domain isn't installed on ns1.granitecanyon.com.  Did
you get a confirmation from them saying that it would be?

As you know from reading this list for the past few days, GC has been very
slow in reloading their servers.  Check their web server to find out when
the last time they reloaded was.

>asptomorrow.com.  IN  MX  10  asptomorrow.com. ; EXTREF
>asptomorrow.com.  IN  MX  20  asptomorrow.com. ; EXTREF
>asptomorrow.com.  IN  MX  100 asptomorrow.com. ; EXTREF

Is there a reason why you have three MX records pointing to the same host?
And why do you have EXTREF when you're not pointing outside your domain?

>; global MX records for unspecified members of the zone
>*.asptomorrow.com.     IN  MX  10  asptomorrow.com. ; GLOBALOK
>*.asptomorrow.com.     IN  MX  20  asptomorrow.com. ; GLOBALOK
>*.asptomorrow.com.     IN  MX  100 asptomorrow.com. ; EXTREF GLOBALOK

Same questions as above.

>; MX records for email addressed to the zone itself
>asptomorrow.com.       IN  MX  10  asptomorrow.com.
>asptomorrow.com.       IN  MX  20  asptomorrow.com.
>asptomorrow.com.       IN  MX  100 asptomorrow.com. ; EXTREF

You already entered these MX records earlier.  Why have you duplicated
them?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA