Q regarding Secondary DNS

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Apr 18 18:43:09 UTC 2000

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 01:47:38PM -0500, Gary Carr wrote:
> > > Every time you add or delete a zone on the master, the operator of the
> > > slave server has to do the same thing.
> >
> > Actually, this is done automagically if the "slave" server is properly
> > configured.
>
> So you can configure the slave to automatically load new zones into the
> named.conf file then load the new zone?

My apologies for this confusion.  Barry was right, of course; I had
just read this incorrectly.

Every time you add A RECORD TO an existing zone, the master tells its
slaves [for sufficiently recent BIND versions].

Every time you add a zone, you must tell the slaves.  That's because
there is no info about which servers are slaves for which zones.  I
have zones [for various reasons] that are set up on hosts A, B, and C
as follows:

		A		B		C
zone a		master		slave		-
zone b		master		slave		slave
zone c		-		master		slave
zone d		slave		master		-

There is no apriori way for the poor confused 'named' to know what I'm
going to do next.  ;-]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B