DNS-newbie question...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 19 20:25:24 UTC 2000

Runar wrote:

> Is it possible to give different domain-names to different directories
> on the same server?
>
> For example:
> On my server I would like make two directories; /dir1 and /dir2. Then I
> would like references to the adress "www.dir1.com" to read files from
> /dir1 and references to "www.dir2.com" to get files from /dir2.
>
> If this is possible, how is it done, ie. what do I put in my
> "zone-files"?

All this requires from DNS is for the names to resolve to the same
address. This can be accomplished by creating one or more aliases pointing
to an A record, or just simply defining multiple A records pointing to the
same address.

Beyond DNS, there is also some web server configuration that is necessary,
but that is beyond the scope of this list.