Split DNS setup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 20 01:10:05 UTC 2000

No offense, but I think you're a little confused here. The server in the
DMZ that you're using for forwarding doesn't need to be a
"registered" anything. In fact it doesn't need to *serve* any zones at all;
it could be a caching-only server. All it needs to be able to do is resolve
Internet names on behalf of internal machines.

Now, if you want to run a so-called "shadow" namespace externally, you could
run it on the same machine as the forwarder, either as a separate nameserver
instance or the same one. One of the benefits of separating the functions is
that it allows you easily turn off recursion on the external primary, which
you may want to do to prevent certain denial-of-service attacks. At the same
time, you would leave recursion enabled on your forwarder, but limit it to
only answering queries from internal clients. Sure, with a sufficiently
up-to-date version of BIND you can do all of this with one instance (since
per-zone query and recursion restrictions are now implemented), but the
configuration is messy and it may be more maintainable as two separate
machines or nameserver instances.

So, given that the external primary doesn't even need to talk to the internal
primary, or even run on the same box as the internal primary's forwarder,
your question about the consequences of running 2 primary servers doesn't
make a whole lot of sense. Yes, they are both "primary" for the same zone,
but they serve different client communities and don't even need to talk to
each other. Even if they do talk to each other, the internal box would only
be forwarding queries that are *outside* the internally-defined zones, so it
would be completely oblivious to the fact that its forwarder was also
configured as primary for those zones -- this fact would never come up in the
conversation.

- Kevin