Help addressing different domains and/or zones

abrinson at ogse.com abrinson at ogse.com
Thu Apr 20 16:24:42 UTC 2000

A follow-up question, then.  I am trying to do this exact thing, and I
was curious about the SOA.
In the main domain you would obviously put the follwoing as the first
line.

@       IN      SOA     ns.dom1.com. hostmaster.dom1.com.  (

My question is for the second domain would you put

@       IN      SOA     ns.dom2.com. hostmaster.dom2.com.  (

or would you list the actual name of the DNS server as below

@       IN      SOA     ns.dom1.com. hostmaster.dom1.com.  (

The book (in my opinion) is not completely clear on this.

In article <a61L4.28$eJ5.497 at burlma1-snr2>,
  Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote:
> In article <9djofsca72tm2rundk5185c8cohp9unt3n at 4ax.com>,
> Rick Bruner  <rbruner at huntingdon.edu> wrote:
> >As I'm sure is already obvious, I am fairly clueless when it comes to
> >DNS, but I have yet to dig out the information I need for this
> >configuration.
>
> >I have a DNS server running BIND 4.97 for NT handling my school
> >(huntingdon.edu), and have a need to point additional domain names to
> >my IP addresses.  For instance, I need to point alacte.org and
> >www.alacte.org to one of my huntingdon.edu IP addresses, as we are
> >hosting their web page.
>
> P. 91 of "DNS & BIND, 3rd Edition" in the section "Adding More
Domains".

> >Why do I suspect this is so easy that I'm completely missing it?
>
> Because it is.  You configure additional domains exactly the same way
that
> you configured the original domains.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
> Genuity, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to
the group.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.