lookup question?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Apr 20 21:56:02 UTC 2000

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 10:45:01AM -0700, Amy Aton wrote:
> I there a way to select the root server to be used based upon the ip address
> or host name of the lookup entity?
>
> example:  pushing cisco.com to A.ROOT and army.mil to NS1.army.mil
>
> Thx
> Amy Aton

The name server used by the host immediately to resolve names is always
controlled at the host, for all systems of which I know.  It is always
or almost always your local name server.

Your local name server, or the closest name server that actually talks
to the Internet, chooses the root server to be used, NOT on some
arbitrary criteria that are likely to be wrong some percentage of the
time, but very simply based on which one gives the fastest response
time.  And that's what you're trying to optimise, isn't it?

OBTW, ns1.army.mil is not a root server, AFAIK.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B