NS does not think it is authoritative

Syed Ali syed at ccrl.nj.nec.com
Fri Apr 21 22:39:47 UTC 2000

I am running Bind 8.2.2. pathlevel 5, on Solaris 2.7 and using h2n Rev 1.29.

My sub domain has 2 NS records, one for a master and one for a slave name
server.
My master server does not seem to think it is the authoritative for my sub
domain, even though the slave thinks that it is the authoritative for my sub
domain.
Any clue on what I could do to fix this problem?
Any query about any record in my sub domain to my master server returns a
non-authoritative answer, but the same query to the slave server returns an
authoritative answer. I have checked, double checked the syntax of my zone
files to make sure that the SOA record points to my master server, but it
still does not consider itself as authoritative.
My slave server is configured as a forwarder pointing to my "grand parent"
name server.
My parent name server has 2 NS records for my sub domain pointing to my
master and slave server.
When I query my parent domain for the NS record and the SOA record for my
sub domain, the records accurately point to my master and slave server.
What even odd is when I query my master server for the SOA record it returns
a non authoritative answer.
I even killed nscd to remove any caching problems...

On another note, I use h2n to build my DNS zone files from my host file, and
does anyone know how to tell h2n to create an MX record for the sub domain?
If I use the -m option, it creates MX records for hosts. I tried the -v 8
options and create a spcl.options file in which I specified an MX record for
the domain pointing to our mail server, but each time h2n builds the zone
files, it leaves out the MX record for the domain.

My h2n options are -d for the domain, -n for the networks, -s for the master
and slave server, -y, -v 8, and -u...

Thank you.