$INCLUDE

Brian Keves keves at synopsys.com
Mon Apr 24 19:37:07 UTC 2000

For a large environment this is still really messy. I have been toying with
another idea, since we also want to keep everything in one domain but it has
static and dynamic components.

Write a h2n equivalent for Dynamic updates, using Net::DNS::Update, maybe
called uh2n.

Then to initially build the domain from your host file run the regular h2n
script. After the first build run the uh2n script anytime the hosts file
changes and dynamically update changes for the domain from that point on. The
uh2n script would basically diff the hosts file and only send updates for
additions and deletions.

So, has anyone already written a uh2n script? :-)

I'm going to tackle it soon, but of course I'd like to find one out there first
if it has already been done.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
--
"Stephens, Bill" wrote:

>         This might not be too practical, it sounds like I would have to
> create a CNAME for each host (currently over 10,000 records in the
> production zone).  I did run into this though, according to the DNS & Bind
> book:
>
>         15.1.1 CNAMEs Attached to Interior Nodes
>
>         If you've ever renamed your zone
>         because of a company re-org, you may have considered creating a
> single
>         CNAME record that pointed from the zone's old domain name to the new
>
>         domain name.  For instance, if the fx.movie.edu zone were renamed to
>
>         magic.movie.edu, we'd be tempted to create a single CNAME record to
> map
>         all the old names to the new names:
>
>         fx.movie.edu.  IN CNAME magic.movie.edu.
>
>         With this in place, you'd expect
>         a lookup of empire.fx.movie.edu to result in a lookup of
>         empire.magic.movie.edu.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work - you
> can't have
>         a CNAME record attached to an interior node like fx.movie.edu if it
> owns
>         other records.  Remember that fx.movie.edu has an SOA record and NS
>         records, so attaching a CNAME record to it violates the rule that a
> domain
>         name be either an alias or a canonical name, not both.  So, instead
> of a
>         single CNAME record to rename a complete zone, you'll have to do it
> the
>         old-fashioned way - a CNAME record for each individual host within
> the
>         zone:
>
>         empire.fx.movie.edu.  IN CNAME empire.magic.movie.edu.
>         bladerunner.fx.movie.edu.  IN CNAME bladerunner.magic.movie.edu.
>
>         If the subdomain isn't delegated, and consequently doesn't have an
> SOA
>         record and NS records attached, you can create an alias for
> fx.movie.edu,
>         but it will apply only to the domain name fx.movie.edu, and not to
> domain
>         names in fx.movie.edu.
>
>         With that in mind, as long as I didn't create an SOA record for
> "dyn.bubba.pvt" and
>         delegate it, could I create the following CNAME record in the
> "dyn.bubba.pvt" zone and expect
>         us381s04.dyn.bubba.pvt to also resolve to us381s04.bubba.pvt?
>
>         bubba.pvt. IN CNAME dyn.bubba.pvt.
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Bill Stephens
>
>         Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov>
>         04/24/2000 12:15 PM
>         To:     Bill Stephens/Frito-Lay/US at Frito-Lay
>         cc:     comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org@SMTP at Exchange
>         Subject:        Re: $INCLUDE
>
>         On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 11:33:24AM -0500, Stephens, Bill wrote:
>         >       I'm hesitant to do that, because not all of my users would
> remember
>         > to typein something like us381s04.sub.bubba.pvt  as opposed to
>         > us381s04.bubba.pvt.  Right now they just type in us381s04 and it
> [...]

Brian Keves                    E-Mail:   keves at synopsys.com
Senior Unix Architect          Phone:    +1.650.584.4461
Network Computing Services     Cell:     +1.650.333.1223 #112
Synopsys, Inc.                 Fax:      +1.650.584.4343
700 East Middlefield Road      WWW:      http://www.synopsys.com
M/S C-11                       Physical: C1.136A
Mountain View, CA 94043-4033   "Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand