Domain Name

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 25 14:22:36 UTC 2000

In article <8g6N4.18866$R4.101469 at news1.rdc1.nj.home.com>,
viper0070 <viper0070 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I recently registered a domain name. Then I needed a DNS server to host my
>record, my ISP does not offer one so I found a free one. It is
>www.granitecanyon.com. I tried to sign up but then I have to put some kind
>of code that is called "RR" or something. How do i have it point to an IP
>adress, what do I have to put there? I would really apreciate if someone
>would check out www.granitecanyon.com and see, thanks. Please email me at
>viper0070 at yahoo.com

RR's are the records in DNS that specify the contents of your domain.  For
instance, to have www.yourdomain.com point to the IP address 1.2.3.4, you
create the record:

www.yourdomain.com.  A  1.2.3.4

I'm afraid that I can't teach you everything you need to know in order to
manage DNS in an email.  You really need to get the book "DNS & BIND" to
learn it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA