Receiving BIND requests on server that is no longer a DNS server. ..

Robert Gahl bgahl at bawcsa.org
Tue Apr 25 15:35:19 UTC 2000

At 11:19 AM 4/25/00 -0400, Blackman, Jonathan wrote:

>We retired a DNS server a couple of years ago and now I have noticed that
>there are still several DNS servers trying to query the old address.  Is
>there a way to find out where I still have the old address: 204.114.255.1
>defined.  We changed all of our NS record and NIC information way back.  So,
>I can't imagine where they are getting this from.

It has been my unpleasant experience that there are lots of ISPs out there
operating "outside" the "law" as it were. With a TTL of one hour for months
prior to a change, and then after the change, months later, I would still
see lookup failures because they were still looking for the old data. The
only way I could resolve this was that their ISPs weren't allowing BIND/DNS
to operate naturally in some attempt to alleviate load on their machines.
If a user of the ISP would call the ISP tech support, they would kick their
DNS, allowing an update to occur.

So, based on my personal experience, I would tell you that there is
probably nothing you have done wrong, and that you are simply seeing
queries from ISPs who don't play by the rules. Of course, this information
of mine is anecdotal. That is, it is based on personal experience and
trying to put some bounds on what I was seeing. I'm sure Paul or Barry can
probably give the defacto answer on WHY this occurs usually.
===
Bob Gahl Bicycle (Ryan Vanguard) Mobile  ||     @
     ARPA/Internet: bgahl at bawcsa.org      ||  !_ \
"Sahn joong moe low ful how jee yah ching wong" - "When the
mountain has no tigers, the monkey will also declare himself
king." Chinese Proverb