How to clean a DNS-cache on a workstation?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 25 17:19:20 UTC 2000

In article <39055DA0.666479B8 at grz.at>, Christoph Wagner  <wagner at grz.at> wrote:
>I want to clean the local cache of a workstation so that the workstation
>asks the dns again!
>
>Anybody who knows how to do so in Solaris26, WinNT 4, ..

Unless the workstation is running a DNS server of its own, it probably
doesn't have its own cache.  If it's running named, you flush the cache
with "ndc restart".

Solaris is an exception: it has a daemon called "nscd" that performs
generic name caching; you can flush its hostname cache with "nsdc -i hosts"
(see nscd(1M)).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA