Bind newbie: Bind versions output

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Wed Apr 26 18:22:37 UTC 2000

Your question is difficult to answer without explicitly specifying a
reference.  I'm assuming that you are refering to the Linux DNS-HOWTO,
but the page number depends upon viewing text, HTML, PDF, Postscript,
etc.  In the future, please specify EXACTLY what you are refering to -
maybe including a URL.

Now, onto your question - assuming that I know what you are talking
about.  I'm assuming that you have a zone file similar to the following:

	; The full zone file
	;
	@       IN      SOA     ns.linux.bogus. hostmaster.linux.bogus. (
	                        199802151       ; serial, todays date + todays
serial #
	                        8H              ; refresh, seconds
	                        2H              ; retry, seconds
	                        1W              ; expire, seconds
	                        1D )            ; minimum, seconds
	;
	                NS      ns              ; Inet Address of name server
	                MX      10 mail.linux.bogus     ; Primary Mail
Exchanger
	                MX      20 mail.friend.bogus.   ; Secondary Mail
Exchanger
	;
	localhost       A       127.0.0.1
	ns              A       192.168.196.2
	mail            A       192.168.196.4

and you perform the following "nslookup" command:

	$ nslookup
	> set q=any
	> linux.bogus

This should report ALL information about the "linux.bogus" domain name,
including A, MX, NS, and SOA records.  If you are not getting
everything, either your server is not authoritative for the zone (very
likely), or you forgot to do the "set q=any".

Since you say that you receive a "non-authoritative" part for the
answer, I would suspect that the DNS name server that you querying is
not authoritative for the "linux.bogus" zone.  This could be due to: not
having a "zone" directive in the named.conf file, not having a zone data
file for this zone (or in the wrong directory), or that there was an
error found while loading the zone file.  What does your system log say
when you start up your name server?

Take a closer look at your configuration, data, and syslog output.  I
fully expect that your answer is right in front of you.

It has been a while since I looked over the Linux DNS-HOWTO, but from
what I remember, it was OK but not great.  If you are seriously
interested in understanding DNS and DNS server operation, get a copy of
"DNS and BIND" by Paul ALbitz & Cricket Liu.  There is no better
reference to be had on the topic (unless maybe you go to one of
Cricket's classes).

Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)