CNAMES to different domain

Josh Higham bindadmin at bigsky.net
Wed Apr 26 19:11:48 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Deliduka <thomas at neweve.com>
To: Bind List <bind-users at isc.org>
Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: CNAMES to different domain

>Wait, so what you're saying is that I could have the CNAME defined for www
>like:
>
>www.dialmattress.com. IN CNAME mattress.com.
>
>But not for the straight domain.
>
>I guess that defeats the point of having a CNAME point to a separate
domain.
>I wanted one place to change the IP if it ever changed rather than 100
>different files.

If they are all on the same server, you can do this fairly easily.  In the
named.conf file specify each domain pointing to the file 'domain.db' or
whatever.  In that file, the ORIGIN starts out as the zone, so if everything
is listed as reletive (ie, www not www.domain.com), and there are no more
ORIGIN statements, and as long as the zones are supposed to be identical you
can now host all the zones off one file.  Make a change to that file and it
affects all the zones.

I'm not 100% certain how this works for reloading.  There may be an NDC
command that reloads all zones that have been modified (new time on the
file), or the sledgehammer approach of HUPing the server will work.

Josh