DNS order in /etc/resolv.conf . How does that work

Bhangui_S Bhangui_S at bls.gov
Thu Apr 27 15:19:16 UTC 2000

Hello
	OS : Solaris 2.6

	Bind Version : 8.2.2.P5

General question apologizes if it has been answered before.

On all the machines in our UNIX eviornment we have the following order in
the "/etc/resolv.conf".

nameserver : IP address for Server A	(Primary Internal DNS)
nameserver: IP address for Server B	(Secondary Internal DNS)
nameserver: IP address for Server C

Question

If the Server  A or the named on Server A dies will the queries be left
hanging or immediately the Server B should pick up and answer the queries. I
thought that in the event this happened Server B will pick up
instantaneously. But apparently that did not happen . Is there a setting
somewhere which one has to set so that it picks up the second listed server
immediately if Server A does not respond. Could somebody throw some light on
this so that I  can understand the proper use of the  DNS order.
Thanks
Sandeep