FW: Setting up full DNS on an intranet

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Apr 27 16:30:04 UTC 2000

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 02:19:31PM +0100, Belluco, Giuseppe (Johannesburg) wrote:
> in the file we call "root" Is there any special format to putting in the
> root
> server's IP address and name. Eg Does it have to be something like this
>
> .				360000	IN	NS	A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
> A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.	360000		A	192.168.0.1
>
> Where the IP address is for my root server. What do I put instead of
> A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.?

No special format.  As Kevin said, this is to some degree Yet Another
Zone File.  Put in your name server's real name instead of the name of
the server "a.root-servers.net".  Make sure that the TTL is pretty high.
999999999 would not be totally unreasonable.

The hints file [root zone file, root cache file] does not take an SOA
statement.  I believe that it would ignore it.  I suspect that it would
also ignore a $TTL directive.  I could check all this in the source
code, but of course so could you.  ;-)  I did check, once, and found
that any NS statement for any zone other than root is ignored, as well
as a number of other statements whose particulars I don't remember off
hand.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B