non-autoritative answer

Tony Earnshaw tearnshaw at landis.nl
Thu Apr 27 14:59:48 UTC 2000

Jack Watts wrote:

> When I query my server with NSLOOKUP I get "non-autoritative answer" for some sites,
> when other non-autoritative servers for that domain do give me "non-autoritative answer" message.
> Is this a misconfiguration?

If you use dig instead of nslookup, you will always be given the extra
info. on which nameserver(s) is (are) authoritative for that FQDN, in
which case you'd never get that kind of an answer. 'man dig' will tell
you very explicitely why you should be using dig - and not nslookup.
host -a is even more explicit.

Tony

  Landis ICT Systems
  Tony Earnshaw
  Systems Administrator		e-mail: tearnshaw at landis.nl

  Randstad 21-57
  1314 BH  Almere-Stad		tel: +31 (0) 36 548 50 10
  The Netherlands		fax: +31 (0) 36 534 05 34