CNAME query

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 28 15:30:51 UTC 2000

In article <39B4F074DD19D311A1F60008C759D09503B1F232 at hts.satyam.com>,
Balakrishnan_Sellam  <sbala at satyam.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Actually I have created somany  CNAME records for our organization products.
>Now the doubt is
>wnen any body browses this server,
>
>For ex.
>
>assume my product name is "xxxxx"
>Registered domain name is www.yyyyy.com
>
>if any body browses " www.xxxxx.com"  from the global world how the query is
>happening.
>
>When the query reaches .com,  how it is querying the xxxxx server ip.
>Because I have registered only yyyyy.
>
>Please can you any one can clarify my doubts.

The .com server tells the querier the names of the xxxxx.com nameservers,
and the querier then asks one of those servers to look up www.xxxxx.com.
It returns

www.xxxxx.com.  CNAME  www.yyyyy.com.

If this nameserver has www.yyyyy.com in its cache, it will also include

www.yyyyy.com.  A  <address of your web server>

in the response, so the query will be finished.  If not, the original
nameserver then starts the whole process over, looking up www.yyyyy.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA