Chaining forwarders

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Apr 30 15:33:37 UTC 2000

> There is a note on page 246 of the DNS & BIND book (Third
> Edition) that cautions against chaining forwarders. The only
> reason I see mentioned in the book for this is making the
> configuration too difficult. Is this the only reason?

No.  Chaining forwarders also gives you a "brittle" name
resolution topology:  for example, either forwarder fails
and name resolution fails, or at least slows dramatically.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.