BIND limitations

James Raftery james-bind-users at domainregistry.ie
Tue Aug 29 16:56:18 UTC 2000

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 01:52:47PM +0000, mmartin4072 at my-deja.com wrote:
> I need to know if there are any limitations as to the number of
> processes that BIND can run.

There are no limits imposed by BIND. You will need to provide hardware
that can support the task however.

> I would like to have a box perform notify
> and zone transfers for about 40000 different zones. Any input would be
> helpful.

BIND8 uses an external program, named-xfer, to perform each incoming zone
transfer. Once the transfer is complete, named-xfer exits. There is only
one long-running process: named. It does regular query/response
nameservice, NOTIFYs and outgoing zone transfers, among others.

As for input; obtain the advice of someone with experience running and
large BIND installation who can look into the details of what you want
to do and give you more specific advice.

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375